Bench Joinery Level 3 Diploma at Isle of Wight College
The course is designed for people who wish to extend their occupational skills and trade knowledge to a high level of competence.
The practical activities are challenging and stimulating, involving work of a highly specialist nature.
Some elements involve training and assessment in the supervision and management of operations.
It has been specifically developed for delivery in a training environment using simulated conditions.
Candidates have the option of training in either Advanced Bench Joinery or Advanced Site Carpentry; the more determined candidates may train in both of the options stated.
Each Diploma Level 3 route comprises:
- core units
- occupation-specific units
Each unit comprises of practical tasks and knowledge tasks.
To gain the award the student must be successful in all units and the phase test; they must also pass an independent health and safety test ( if not achieved previously ) and two separate written knowledge tests.
Candidates working in the industry as a carpenter/joiner have the opportunity to collect the requisite evidence of industrial experience to achieve NVQ Level 3.
THE COURSE COMPRISES THE FOLLOWING:
- Set up & use fixed transportable machine
- Manufacture stairs with turns
- Manufacture shaped joinery products
- Continuous assessment in practical activities
- Continuous assessment in trade knowledge
- Practical phase testing
- Knowledge examination (core knowledge)
- Knowledge examination (trade specific knowledge)
The course is accessible to all. You will require a positive attitude and a willingness to work hard. You should have achieved the Intermediate Level Qualification and/or adequate experience as a carpenter / joiner. A recommendation from your tutor at Intermediate Level on successful achievement at Level 2. Five GCSEs Grade C or above.
Typically attendance will be for one day and two evenings per week. Functional Skills are assessed through examination and portfolio production. Generally there is a practical and academic assessment for each unit.
The course is structured and delivered by continuous assessment; It will be your responsibility to update your record book which will show evidence of your experience and achievements.
You must complete all the occupational units, practical assessments, knowledge assessments, phase tests, knowledge tests and have secured achievement of the Health and Safety test diploma.
Evidence of performing a range of tasks in the workplace is also required to achieve the NVQ.
- Apply problem solving techniques in the areas of competence covered
- Understand the principles of construction to a high level in each unit
- Develop practical skills as required by the industry
- Develop the skills to design components / products of a challenging nature
- Applying numeracy to cost operations and solve more complex mathematical problems
- Progress to the Higher National Certificate / Diploma in Construction / Building Studies
- NVQ3 Carpentry and Joinery if there is adequate work based evidence to support assessment
Note : Progression to the Higher National Certificate / Diploma is by the satisfactory completion of the Diploma Level 3 together with a reasonable report from your Tutor along with a good attendance record.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.