Art and Design: Textiles A Level at West Lakes Academy
Are you creative and imaginative?
Do you enjoy exploring ideas and looking at things in different ways?
Do you enjoy making?
If so, you should consider a course in textile design with AQA. You will enjoy developing your understanding of the visual world, learning practical skills and responding to ideas and issues in ways that are personal to you.
Be inspired and explore your creativity!
You’ll be able to extend your technical skills and build confidence in your creative ability.
This subject will offer an exciting opportunity to embrace textile, fashion and design, looking at the design industry from an artist’s perspective. It will introduce you to the contemporary approach of the industry and encourage you to excel as a potential textile/fashion designer, looking at a variety of techniques. You will also cover a variety of different techniques, such as batik, laser cutting, embroidery and many more. You will combine your practical work with theory, research, and presentation skills, enabling you to develop fully as a textiles/fashion designer.
WLA Sixth Form entry requirements and a minimum grade B at GCSE in any of the arts subjects and/or at least a grade B in GCSE Textiles. Students who have not studied a technology or art subject before will be considered on an individual basis.
- Component 1: personal investigation 60%, written essay with a portfolio of work and final piece.
- Component 2: externally assessed assignment 40%, preparation time plus 15 hours supervised time to complete final piece.
- Textile technologist
- Colour stylist/ Trend forecasting
- Costume designer
- Digital textiles
- Fashion designer/illustrator/journalist/stylist
- Interior designer/ Upholsterer
- Museum/gallery conservator
- Pattern cutter/pattern designer
- Retail buyer
- Teacher or lecturer
- Textile designer
- Theatre designer
- Wallpaper designer
- Constructed textiles
- Contemporary textiles
- Costume design
- Digital textiles
- Fashion promotion/merchandising
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lakes Academy directly.