Software Development Advanced Diploma at Derby College
The BTEC National Diploma is a highly respected route to university. It is equivalent to three A-levels but offers a broader, deeper knowledge of computing and involves programming and web development. It entails a more technical and practical approach if you wish to take up a career in Information and Communication Technology.
You will also have the opportunity to learn useful skills and techniques in developing and managing information systems in the modern ICT environment.
The selection of units includes:
- Communication and Employability Skills in IT
- Computer Systems
- Software Design and Development
- Database Design
- Website Production
- Digital Graphics
- Information Systems
- Human Computer Interaction
- Procedural Programming
- Client Side Customisation of Web Pages
- Computer Animation
- Event Driven Programming
- Computer Systems Architecture
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Developing Computer Games
- Mathematics for IT Practitioners
- Web Server Scripting
You must pass every unit.
You should have:
- Five GCSEs at grades A*-C, including English and Maths
- BTEC First Level 2 at Merit grade or OCR National Level 2 at Merit grade, plus GCSE English and Maths at grade C
Assessment is 100% by coursework via a range of methods. You will be asked to complete written assignments, undertake presentations, develop case studies and work on 'real' projects. Assessment also involves observation and witness testimony from your lecturers and peers.
You may have to fund trips and visits in support of this qualification. Costs will be discussed during your induction period.
This course is suitable for those learners who wish to progress to university and study in a Business/ICT field, or who wish to commence employment in a relevant role.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.