Hairdressing (NVQ) Level 2 at New College Durham
This Level 2 will suit you if you are new to hairdressing or have some knowledge and basic skills in the industry through employment. It will prepare you for a career in hairdressing and to gain a nationally recognised qualification that will enable you to progress on to Level 3 or an apprenticeship at Level 3.
The following areas will be studied on the course:
- Cutting hair using basic techniques
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Styling and dressing hair
- Finishing hair; including blow-drying and setting
- Changing hair colour using basic techniques
- Promotion of additional products and services
- Advising and consulting clients
- Reception skills to give clients a positive impression
- Health and safety
- Development of your personal, social and employability skills through enrichment activities, tutorial sessions and an external and internal work placement.
As part of your study programme you will also undertake a work placement at an external salon, develop further employment skills that include CV writing, interview techniques and team working attributes, and further enhance your maths and English skills.
All applicants are interviewed and a mandatory skills test will be carried out. Applicants must possess appropriate communication skills and the desire to work in the hairdressing industry.
You may choose to progress to Hairdressing Level 3 (full time) or part time employment.Related careers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact New College Durham directly.