Art and Design UAL level 1 Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
The course is a practical 'hands on' programme designed to encourage you to develop the skills you need to progress through various pathways in the Arts.
This course is validated by UAL and aims to encourage you to research and translate your own ideas into creative pieces of work.
You will learn skills in drawing, painting, collage and sculpture through practical exercises, workshops and demonstrations.
This will include working with a wide variety of materials including:
- graphite pencil
- a range of modelling materials.
Formal design elements such as line, tone, texture, colour, pattern, scale and proportion will be explored.
- Ability to use a variety of written, oral and visual forms of communication
- Ability to present written and practical work in the form of comprehensive projects
- Ability to plan and carry through a task which involves the use and application of number e.g. costing designs.
- Ability to agree projects and working methods.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to take responsibility for own learning
- Manual dexterity and physical stamina
- Satisfactory interview to assess motivation, previous experience if applicable, communication skills, career planning
- Satisfactory reference
Before starting your course, you will take assessments in English and maths to make sure that you will be able to meet the requirements of the course. It is expected that your English and maths will be at Entry Level 3.
To ensure you are enrolled on the right course of study, the first few weeks of the course will be an extended induction period.
During this time your communication, numeracy and study skills, behaviour, time management and attendance will be assessed as well as your own preferred method of learning. If we believe the course does not meet your requirements, we will discuss suitable alternatives with you.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
You will need to purchase some materials for the course, full details will be given at enrolment.
On successful completion of this course, you may be able to progress to Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design or other courses at Level 2.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.