Accessibility links

Product Design (Graphic Products and Resistant Materials) A-Level at Sir John Talbot's Technology College

Course description

Take a broad view of design and technology, to develop your capacity to design and make products and to appreciate the complex relationship between design, materials and manufacturing.

Will this course suit me?

This course will suit those with an interest in the design and manufacture of a wide range of products and/or technological activity and who are intending to pursue a career in a design related field. Assessment is predominantly practical or coursework based. Students who would benefit most from studying a GCE in Design and Technology Product Design are likely to have one of the following:

  • A Level 2 qualification such as a GCSE in Design and Technology at grades A*–B
  • A Level 2 qualification such as a BTEC First in an appropriate subject

Entry requirements

We ask that students applying to the Sixth Form have a minimum of 5 GCSEs A*– C Grade and aim for a B Grade in their chosen subject of study (predicted grades). 

It is possible to choose some subjects if you have not studied them for GCSE. 

You will be invited to attend a short, informal interview with the Head of Sixth Form to discuss your application and talk through your options. All places offered will be conditional until you have received your GCSE results in August and enrolment will take place on GCSE Results Day.

Future opportunities

Higher/Continuing Education: Suits higher education courses in a wide range of design and engineering degrees including product design, industrial product design, engineering design, jewellery design, architecture and architectural engineering, food science, food technology, hospitality, catering, advertising and graphic design.

Employment: Useful for mechanical engineering, civil engineering, engineering design, architecture, product design, industrial design, graphics, advertising, journalism and media, hospitality and catering.

Students are asked to pay for materials used in the manufacture of coursework projects.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sir John Talbot's Technology College directly.

Last updated date: 06 July 2015

Key information