Introduction to Caring for Children BTEC Level 1 in Vocational Studies at Shipley College
This course is very ‘hands on’ and gives you lots of practical experience with children to prepare you for working in nurseries or other childcare settings.
You will learn about creative activities, books, stories, poems and rhymes, healthy eating, keeping children safe and communication with children.
You learn skills which help you with your studies and getting a job, such as Personal & Social Development.
You can also gain important Functional Skills qualifications in maths and English.
As part of the Foundation Learning offer, this course gives you an introduction to lots of other subject options as well as Childcare.
This course is a great starting point if you would like to work with children.
- Self Assessment
- Career Progression
- Being Organised
- Providing Pre-school Children's Reading Activities
- Providing Children's Creative Activities
- Providing Activities to Promote Healthy Eating
- Personal Progression
In addition, you have the opportunity to enter Matchfit Skills competitions, a great experience that allows you to showcase skills learnt on your course.
You will also study Functional Skills at a suitable level in English and maths. Functional skills help to make students more employable and improve CVs or personal statements.
- 2 GCSEs at grade E (2) or above in both English & maths; however, GCSE grade D (3) would be preferable.
- We will do an assessment to find out which course level is right for you.
- You need to have a positive attitude and a keen interest in caring for children.
- You will also come to an introductory ‘taster’ session before the course starts, to see if it is the right course for you.
The course is unit-based and assessed internally. You will also take functional skills assessments which require learners to build portfolios. English, maths and ICT also have externally set tests.
You will need a small amount of money to buy recommended textbooks and stationery such as files, paper and pens and ideally a USB to save your work.
After successful completion of the course you could move on to the Children’s Play, Learning and Development BTEC First Certificate Level 2 or on to the apprenticeship programme.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shipley College directly.