Welsh AS at Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth
Why study Welsh?
- Learn about the oldest surviving literature in Europe.
- Open doors to various careers.
- Use the language in oral and writing tasks.
- Better understanding of Wales and the Welsh language.
- Improve language skills.
- discuss a film and drama in an oral examination
- present two pieces of coursework
- study poems by twentieth and twenty first century poets
- study grammar to improve accuracy of language
- study a novel, compare it with other pieces of literature and discuss these in an oral examination
- read and study early Welsh legends
- study the earliest Welsh poetry, from the sixth to the fourteenth century
- appreciate literature
- use of language.
Unit 1: Film and Drama and Oracy
- Film Hedd Wyn
- Drama Siwan by Saunders Lewis
Unit 2: Written Non examination assessment
- Extended writing
- Research and expressing an opinion
Unit 3: Use of Language and Poetry
- Grammar and use of language
- Study 12 poems
- Oral examination: 45 minutes (March/April)
- Present a portfolio of two tasks
- Written examination: 2 hours
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth directly.