Drama Studies AS at The Ashcombe School
Why study the subject?
For a student with a lively interest in Drama, this course offers an extension of general knowledge and experience of the theatre. For students hoping to extend their studies of English and/or Drama to Higher Education, the course will be of great value. Its emphasis on communication skills will prove an asset to any pupil considering a career which deals with the public.
The course is both written (30%) and performance based (70%). It involves a close study of texts chosen by the centre and the influences of theatrical practitioners. Several theatre visits to live productions constitute part of the course.
Unit 1: Exploration and Performance
60% of the AS qualification
• A group performance/design realisation of one key extract from a performance text.
• A monologue or duologue performance/design realisation from one key extract from a different performance text.
• We will choose the texts and extracts for the assessment.
40% of the AS qualification
• Practical exploration and study of a complete performance text.
• Choice of six performance texts. • Live theatre evaluation – choice of performance.
Unit 1: Coursework assessed
Unit 2: Exam assessed
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Ashcombe School directly.