Level 3 diploma in advanced professional chefs at North Hertfordshire College
Our catering and hospitality courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work experience with businesses like Galvin at Windows, Alimentum, Hermitage Road and Hanbury Manor
- Visits to Billingsgate Seafood School, Hanbury Manor and Fine Food Fair
- Attending the Game to Eat Workshop for level 3 professional cookery students
- Attending the environmental health presentation.
Professional cookery: you’ll develop your basic catering skills by looking more closely at kitchen workplace skills; costing and menu planning; healthier food and special dietary requirements; practical gastronomy for fish, vegetable, meat, poultry, game dishes, bakery and pastry skills.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Supervisory skills in the hospitality industry
- The principles of food safety supervision for catering
- Practical gastronomy
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing vegetable and vegetarian dishes; meat dishes; poultry and game dishes; fish and shellfish
- How to produce fermented dough and batter products; petits fours; paste products; hot cold and frozen desserts; biscuits, cakes and sponges.
To join this course, you’ll need:
- A level 2 diploma in professional cookery or equivalent industry skills and experience.
The course is assessed through assignments, projects, practical tests and short question papers. You'll also sit exams if you're doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 years.
This programme is eligible for Advanced Learner Loans.
Possible charges for any trips or visits offered during the year will be independent of the tuition fees or any other student finance
Having successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to progress to:
- Catering and hospitality courses at university
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.