Electrical Installation Advanced Apprenticeship at JTL
As a JTL apprentice you'll be in full time employment with a local company receiving a good wage from day one. You'll spend time learning your trade by gaining hands-on-experience working on-site with your employer, as well as attending a JTL approved college or training centre to learn the theoretical knowledge you will need.
We have said that the government requires all 'Apprenticeships' to be built around a framework and for the Advanced Apprenticeship, government requires the framework to reflect a higher level of competence and knowledge, namely:
- An NVQ at Level 3 (the competence part)
- A knowledge based element at Level 3
- Transferable Skills at Level 2
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills
- Any industry specific requirements
For electricians, the competence and knowledge elements are combined in a QCF qualification called the ‘Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems & Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment)’ This structure is reflected in the new electrical framework as follows, with ELTOC1 being the industry specific requirement :
There are a few things you need to know before you set your heart on a JTL apprenticeship. They are:
- You need to be aged 16
- If you’re over 19 your employer may need to put money towards your studies.
- You can apply for an apprenticeship while in education. But you need to have left before starting with us.
- You also need an employer before you can start an apprenticeship. Though you can apply before you’ve arranged one.
- You can’t join the scheme if you’re colour blind. Sorry, it’s too risky for you.
Attend College to study City & Guilds Technical Certificate.
Attend College to study Key Skills.
NVQ Level 3 undertaken with employer under the guidance of a JTL Training Officer.
An Advanced Apprenticeship is your first step to an amazingly rewarding career
where you'll earn while you learn - rather than getting into debt at university.
Once you've qualifi ed you could gain experience working on exciting projects
like an Olympic stadium or an international airport and end up running the
show. You could choose to study further in a specialist area and fi nd yourself
leading the field. Scale the heights on a challenging project abroad. Or be the
boss in the future by setting up your own successful business.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact JTL directly.