Chemistry A Level at East Norfolk Sixth Form College
A-level Chemistry (Specification A) will give you an exciting insight into the contemporary world of chemistry. It covers the key concepts of chemistry and practical skills are integrated throughout the course. This combination of academic challenge and practical focus makes the prospect of studying A-level Chemistry highly appealing.
You will learn about chemistry in a range of different contexts and the impact it has on industry and many aspects of everyday life. You will learn to investigate and solve problems in a range of contexts.
- Atoms, compounds, molecules and equations
- Enthalpy, entropy and free energy
- Amount of substance
- Redox and electrode potentials
- Acid–base and redox reactions
- Transition elements
- Electrons, bonding and structure
- Organic chemistry
- The periodic table and periodicity
- Group 2 and the halogens
- Organic synthesis
- Reaction rates and equilibrium
- Analytical techniques (IR and MS)
- pH and buffers
- Chromatography and spectroscopy (NMR)
Emphasis throughout the course is on developing knowledge, competence and confidence in practical skills and problem solving. You will learn how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
Two B grades or better in GCSE Sciences; these can be Core and Additional or if triple science has been taken, then one of these must be in Chemistry. GCSE grade C or better in Maths is also required.
Awarding Body - OCR
AS – 2 x written papers in May of the first year both 1.5 hours
A2 – 3 x written papers in June of the second year. 2 x 2.5 hours and 1 x 1.5 hours
A2 only Practical Endorsement – pass or fail assessed in class throughout the two year course
Opens up a range of possibilities for further study and careers associated with the subject. The subject is compulsory or highly recommended for careers in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science and pharmacy.
- Wanting to be a doctor?
- Wanting to work in the chemical industry?
- Wanting to understand how chemistry can impact the environment?
- Interested in the world around you?
- A problem solver?
- Keenly interested in science?
- Keen on practical work?
...A-level Chemistry might well be for you!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Norfolk Sixth Form College directly.