English Literature AS & A2 Level at Leek High School
The new course consists of 4 units of work undertaken over the two year period. The first two units lead to an AS award at the end of Year 12. The standard required is that of A Level but, obviously, the amount of work covered can be achieved in one year.
- Units 1 (2 hours) and 3 (2 hours, 30 minutes) are written under examination conditions.
- Units 2 and 4 are examined through coursework and both require two separate pieces.
- As can be seen, candidates studying for the full A level will cover a minimum of 7 texts. Additionally, they will study a variety of supplementary texts to enable them to prepare for unit 3.
1. Texts in Context Candidates answer two questions: one on the set poetry text, the other linking their wider reading to the focus of a given extract.Topic and Text Information:
1C The struggle for Identity in Modern Literature
Section A: Wider Reading (Comparing Extracts)
Section B: Poetry (‘The World’s Wife by Carol Ann Duffy)Assessment: Written Exam 2 hours
Weighting: 60% of the total AS marks; 30% of the total A Level marks.
2. Creative Study Candidates produce a coursework folder containing two pieces of writing comprising 2,000 words in total.
3. Reading for Meaning Candidates answer a question involving unprepared and wider reading on the theme ‘Love through the Ages.’
- Read in the literature of love including the three genres of prose, poetry and drama
- Literature written by both men and women
- Literature through time (from Chaucer to the present day).
4. Extended Essay and Shakespeare Study Candidates will study three texts, none of which will have been studied at AS and one of which will be a Shakespeare play
Two coursework essays will be produced:
- An extended essay which will compare two texts of the candidate’s choice (3000 words)
- An essay focusing on a chosen extract of a Shakespeare play requiring a detailed commentary on the extract, assessing its significance in the whole play (1000 words)
Written Exam 2 hours, 30 minutes
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Leek High School directly.