Physical Education A Level at Wyedean School and Sixth Form Centre
Sport and fitness is a huge industry and you can be part of it. If you’re keen on sport you can make a healthy living from your passion.
Whether that’s working for a Private Sports Club, as a personal trainer at the local gym, or training to be a physiotherapist, there are lots of opportunities.
From professional sport, through to amateur teams and individuals who just want to get in shape, sport and fitness is a fast-growing business.
Best of all, you could be in a career doing something that you love.
The specification takes a multi-disciplinary approach, encouraging the development of different methods of enquiry drawn from a wide range of disciplines, with the focal point being the performer and the performance. The specification is based on the interaction between the theory and practice of Physical Education.
This course will prepare learners for the further study of PE or Sports Science courses as well as other related subject areas such as Psychology, Sociology and Biology.
Learners will also develop the transferable skills that are in demand by Further Education, Higher Education and employers in all sectors of industry.
This specification will create confident, independent thinkers and effective decision makers who can operate effectively as individuals or as part of a team – all skills that will enable them to stand out and effectively promote themselves as they progress through life.
- Physiological factors affecting performance (01)* 90 marks 2 hour written paper 30% of total A level
- Psychological factors affecting performance (02)* 60 Marks 1 hour written paper 20% of total A level
- Socio-cultural issues in physical activity and sport (03)* 60 marks 1 hour written paper 20% of total A level
- Performance in Physical Education (04)* 60 marks** Non-exam assessment (NEA) 30% of total A level
*Indicates inclusion of synoptic assessment
*Examination is weighted up to 90 marks to equal the total marks combined for the two tasks.
Taking this A Level will help to open up a whole range of career options, including
- sport science
- leisure and sport management
- teaching and sports coaching
- working for a national governing body as well as opportunities in Further Education.
Every branch of the armed forces also values the skills you will develop on this course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wyedean School and Sixth Form Centre directly.