Preventing Injuries in Sport & Active Leisure Level 3 at Gateshead College
You will develop essential knowledge required to pursue a career in sport injury management. You will develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning sports massage therapy, including functional anatomy and physiology, nutrition, classification of sports injuries and the stages of healing.
In addition you will develop the understanding, skills and techniques to plan, prepare for and apply a range of sports massage methods to uninjured clients. You will also enhance your skills to evaluate massage strategies and methods to inform on future practice.
This qualification is endorsed by the Sports Massage Association (SMA).On completion of the course you will be eligible to register with the SMA, as a Level 3 Sport Massage Practitioner.
You will be required to find and undertake a compulsory work placement to practice sport massage skills in a professional environment.
The course includes the units such as:
- Exercise Physiology
- Fitness Testing
- Managing Injury and Illness in Sport
- Sport Massage
Choose from one of our Sport Academies or the Leadership Academy
As a full-time student, while studying this course you'll have the opportunity to join one of our 12 sport academies, where you will receive the following for your chosen sport.
Up to nine hours of professional training every week.
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions.
- A personalised training and development programme and nutritional advice.
- Our professional Academy coaches together with our strength and conditioning and physiotherapy teams will support you all the way.
- Access to Olympic standard gym.
If you prefer you may undertake an additional work experience placement instead of joining an Sport Academy to improve and develop your sports massage and injuries knowledge and understanding.
5 GCSEs grade A*-C including English Language and maths.
- When you finish this course you can progress onto our Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy or apply to University to study for a degree in courses such as Sports Rehabilitation, Sport and Exercise Science and Sport Therapy.
- Alternatively, you can apply for employment as a sports massage practitioner or a self-employed sports massage therapist.
Fast-track to an apprenticeship
If you can’t find the right apprenticeship vacancy or you want to do some studying first - no problem. You can start on a vocational study programme then once you’re ready and a vacancy becomes available, we’ll help you transfer on to an apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.