BTEC Sport Level 2 at Seaford Head School and 6th form centre
- encourage personal development through practical participation and performance in a range of sports and exercise activities
- give learners a wider understanding and appreciation of health-related fitness, sports and exercise through a selection of optional specialist units
- encourage learners to develop their people, communication, planning and team-working skills by having the opportunity to select from optional units available in the qualification structure
- provide education and training for sport, leisure and recreation employees
- give opportunities for sport, leisure and recreation employees to achieve a nationally recognised level 1 or level 2 vocationally-specific qualification
- give full-time learners the opportunity to progress to other vocational qualifications, such as the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Sport or Sport and Exercise Sciences, or on to GCE AS or A level, and, in due course, to enter employment in the sport and active leisure sector
- give learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award:
- is a level 2 qualification; however it is graded at Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction, Level 2 Distinction*, Level 1 and Unclassified
- is for learners aged 14 years and over
- is a 120 guided-learning-hour qualification (equivalent in teaching time to one GCSE)
- has core units and optional units
- has 25 per cent of the qualification that is externally assessed. Edexcel sets and marks these assessments.
- will be available on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF)
- presents knowledge in a work-related context
- gives learners the opportunity to develop and apply skills in English and mathematics in naturally occurring, work-related contexts
1 Fitness for Sport and Exercise
2 Practical Sports Performance
Optional specialist units
3 The Mind and Sports Performance
4 The Sports Performer in Action
5 Training for Personal Fitness
6 Leading Sports Activities
5+ GCSE C grade.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport includes an externally assessed unit in the core to introduce externality into vocational programmes of study.
This will assist learners as they progress either into higher levels of vocational learning, or to related academic qualifications such as GCEs and GCSEs. The assessment approach for the internally assessed units in the qualification structure enables learners to receive feedback on their progress throughout the course as they provide evidence towards meeting the unit assessment criteria. Evidence for assessment can be generated through a range of activities, including workplace assessment, role play, practical performance and verbal presentations.
Delivery strategies should reflect the nature of work within the sport sector by encouraging learners to research and carry out assessment in the workplace, or in simulated working conditions, wherever possible. It will be beneficial to learners to use local examples wherever possible, and for your centre to engage with local employers for support and input.
This allows a more realistic and motivating basis for learning and can start to ensure learning serves the needs of local areas. Learners should be encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning and achievement, taking into account industry standards for behaviour and performance.
No enrolement fee.
Resource fees may apply.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport provides a good foundation for learners in post-16 education, or to entry level job roles within the sector.
Achievement at level 2 provides a suitable foundation for further study within the sector through progression on to other vocational qualifications, such as Edexcel BTEC Level 3 qualifications in Sport or Sport and Exercise Sciences.
The underpinning knowledge, practical and vocational skills learnt will also enhance and support progression to a relevant competency-based qualification, such as the Edexcel Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Sports Development (QCF), or the Edexcel Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Leisure Management (QCF).
Successful students at level 2 may also consider general qualifications at level 3, such as a GCE in Physical Education or Leisure Studies. Learners who achieve the qualification at level 1 may progress to a Level 1 NVQ, such as the Edexcel Level 1 NVQ Award in Sport and Active Leisure (QCF), or a BTEC Level 2 qualification in a related sector.
Alternatively, learners may progress to other competency-based qualifications, such as the Edexcel Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Active Leisure, Learning and Well-being Operational Services (QCF) or the Edexcel Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Activity Leadership (QCF). Alternatively learners may also consider progression to general qualifications such as a GCSE in Physical Education.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.