Media - Cambridge Technical Diploma - Level 3 at Kingsbridge Community College
This is a Level 3 National Award which is the equivalent of two A2s and is QCA accredited.
The focus of this course is to achieve technical excellence in as many fields related to the Media industry as possible. THERE ARE NO EXAMINATIONS IN THIS QUALIFICATION: every task counts, as the assessment is portfolio based. Candidates are judged to be either at a Distinction, Merit or Pass level across a range of specific objectives which focus upon making a range of Media products.
There are 6 units in the first year which will cover aspects of print, photography, emedia, video production and Media theory which is focused on industry practice.
Each unit is weighted equally; a candidate taking these 6 alone receives a single A2, the Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma in Media. A student opting to take the triple version of the qualification in the second year would prepare 18 units and achieve, on completion, the Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma, which is worth 3 A2s.
The second year allows a wider choice; radio, animation, social media products, games design and a range of Media design units with the opportunity to do a work-based element in radio.
It is a challenging and highly creative course, one that has proved popular with the students taking it because their technical expertise is stretched to the full - they are learning new things whilst using new software. It is vocational and students get out of it exactly what they put in and they are in control – the students decide what their projects are and what form the assessment takes in negotiation with their subject tutor. The portfolios prepare students for higher education, the Media industry and further technical degrees.
This qualification is the equivalent of two ‘A’ levels and therefore can run alongside two other AS qualifications which may or may not directly feed into Media as a subject. Each application will be considered on its own merit; there may not be a series of examinations at the end of the course, but we shall be operating at ‘A2’ level standard throughout. This new qualification allows for A* equivalences for our most gifted students.
Who is this course aimed at?
Who is our target audience?
- with strong practical skills who has an enthusiasm for learning and acquiring new skills;
- with a clear vision of working in the Media industry in a directorial or technical capacity such as TV, photojournalism, sound mixing and movie editing and computer games animation etc.);
- who is seeking practical work experience in a Media related capacity;
- who is interested in building a top quality portfolio for university or job interview;
- wanting to be at the cutting edge of software development;
- who previously would have left the college in order to study this type of qualification at a sixth form college elsewhere;
- who would enjoy the challenge of working with staff from many subject areas in a new way.
At least 5 GCSEs at grades A* - C including English and Maths. Students are expected to select a minimum of 4 AS subjects in Year 12 and continue to follow a minimum of 3 subjects to A2 in Year 13.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingsbridge Community College directly.