Professional Patisserie and Confectionery - Level 2 Diploma (Full-time) at Newcastle College
This course will develop your practical skills and knowledge for a career in patisserie and confectionery It will also give you the opportunity to gain additional qualifications to help you in your career.
The course will involve theory and practical classes in College as well as a one day a week industry placement.
- Investigate the hospitality and catering industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety in catering
- Healthier food and special diets
- Kitchen operations, cost and menu planning
- Applying work place skills
- Produce Hot & Cold Desserts and Puddings
- Produce Paste Products
- Produce Biscuit , Cake and Sponge Products
- Produce Fermented Dough Products
- You should have at least 4 GCSE grade C including English or Maths or a Level 1 Food Preparation and Cooking; or a Level 1 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering (with industry or college references); or two years relevant industrial experience.
- Students must have full uniform including a suitable knife set, at the start of the Academic year
- Due to food safety and awarding body requirements during practical sessions all students must remove all visible jewellery, including facial piercing and keep nails short and polish free
- Wear professional dress for practical sessions
- Have full dexterity and have a good standard of personal hygiene
- To be able to stand for long periods of time (support arrangements can be put in place if required)
- Be able to communicate and work effectively with others
- If English is not your first language, an IELTS score of 5 is required.
There are on line examinations but you must demonstrate practical competence through examination and a complete portfolio of work (a record of your skills and knowledge). There are short internal tests for the range of additional courses.
Successful students may progress onto Level 3 Diploma in Professional Patisserie and Confectionery subject to satisfactory reference from Level 2 Tutor
After further training many students become Commis Chefs and, with experience, can progress to Chef de Partie.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newcastle College directly.