Agriculture BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Warwickshire College Group
Our two-year Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture is a specialist qualification for those who have a clear vision of their future career and wish to specialise in Crops and Agricultural Mechanisation or Livestock Management. If you already have experience of farming and aspire to reach your full potential, this innovative course could be the perfect stepping stone to the career you desire.
As a Warwickshire College student you will not only be trained as an expert in all practical areas of farming; you will also leave equipped with valuable underpinning knowledge in science and business which is highly sought after by employers. You can further improve your employability skills by undertaking work experience.
Whether you strive to use your unique skills working on the management team of your dream employer, or to establish your own enterprise as an entrepreneur, the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture is the perfect platform to launch your career in the agriculture sector.
Highlights of the course include:
· High quality tuition and learning materials provided by our expert tutors.
· The chance to learn on our 230 hectare commercial farm which includes commercial sheep flock, commercial beef herd, forage and arable cropping
· The opportunity to get involved with lambing
As well as being highly regarded in its own right, the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture is accepted as an entry to Higher Education as an alternative to A levels allowing students to progress to Degree level.
9 Units Year 1 and 9 Units Year 2 - Total 18 Units (180 Credits)
* Subject to change
Year One units include:
- Understand Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Understand Grassland Management
- Agricultural Environments
- Understand the Principles of Plant Science
- Understand the Principles of Soil Science
- Understanding Principles of Landbased Machinery
- Understand and Promote Animal Health
- Landbased Machinery Operations
- Business Planning
Year Two units include:
- Undertake an Investigative Project in the Landbased Sector
- Undertake and Review Work Related Experience in the Landbased Industries
- Business Management in the Landbased Sector
- Undertake Estate Skills
- Understand Agricultural Forage Crop Production
- Undertaking Sheep Production
- Undertake Beef Production
- Undertake Dairy Production
- Mechanised Agricultural Crop Handling and Storage
- Undertaking Landbased Workshop Practices
- Understand and Use Agricultural Spreaders and Sprayers
- Undertake Agricultural Combinable Crop Production
In addition to the main programme, students will be offered (at an additional charge) the opportunity to undertake competency certificates in the following:
- NPTC Safe use of Pesticides PA1 & PA6
- NPTC Crop Sprayer PA2
- NPTC Telescopic Handler
You can apply through our website using the 'Apply now' button on the right hand side of the page. You will need to access the full version of our website to do this, it is not
available on the smart phone app.
After applying, you will be invited to an informal interview with a member of the department. They will assess your suitability and answer any questions you have about the course.
There will be assignments and tests for all modules. In addition, practicals will be assessed by observation and oral questions. Work experience is an important component of this course and will be undertaken towards the end of the second year of the programme.
On successful completion of this course you could continue with your studies at a higher level such as progression on to Higher Education. Alternatively you may find employment in supervisory positions on farm units as a sheep flock manager or dairy herd manager. You may also wish to seek employment within ancillary industries in sales and research.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Warwickshire College Group directly.