Brickwork Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3 at Gloucestershire College
Bricklayers build and repair walls, chimney stacks, and decorative stonework like archways. They might also refurbish brickwork and masonry on restoration projects. As a bricklayer the projects you work on can range from a house extension to a large commercial development. If you enjoy doing practical things and you are interested in construction, this could be the perfect job for you.
As a bricklayer, your work would include:
- Measuring the work area and setting out the first rows of bricks (courses) and the damp course
- Mixing mortar by hand or with a mechanical mixer
- Shaping and trimming bricks using hammers, chisels and power tools
- Checking that courses are straight using water or laser spirit levels and plumb lines.
To become a qualified bricklayer you will need to have:
- Good practical skills
- The ability to read plans
- The ability to work in a well organised and accurate way
- An awareness of safety issues, especially when working at heights and carrying loads
- The ability to work as part of a team and with other tradespeople
- A good level of fitness.
To be considered for the Brickwork Level 3 apprenticeship you must complete level 2 in Brickwork and also be working at a local construction firm.
Upon successfully completing your Level 3 qualification you will be able to enrol on higher level qualifications such as HNC construction or enter the work environment.
Steel toe capped shoes/boots and sturdy clothing to protect your body will be required.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gloucestershire College directly.