GERMAN - AS/A2 Level (OCR) at The Crypt School
Both AS & A2 German are one year courses and are offered as part of a full time study programme
Candidates cover 4 main topic areas: MEDIA, POPULAR CULTURE, HEALTHY LIVING AND LIFESTYLE & FAMILY RELATONSHIPS. Each topic is broken down into sub-topics to give an in-depth knowledge of each area in preparation for the exam.
Candidates follow 3 main topic areas: ENVIRONMENT, THE MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY, CONTEMPORARY SOCIAL ISSUES. They also study a cultural topic to be discussed in the speaking exam, based on a region, 20th century history, an author, a dramatist / poet or an artist from Germany.
Students will spend approximately 3 weeks on each of the sub-topics and should be prepared to do a good deal of independent research and commit to reading and listening out of class to really consolidate the work they do with the teachers. Each candidate will be given a half hour slot per week with the language assistant to practise their speaking skills and prepare for the speaking exam.
As well as the standard Crypt Sixth form entry requirements, candidates should have a high ‘B’ Grade in the GCSE and have done exam papers at Higher Tier. A good understanding of grammar at GCSE level is also essential.
The Examination - the candidate’s ability in all four skill areas (listening, speaking, reading and writing) will be tested in a variety of mixed skill papers.
AS details - students will prepare for the following papers:
Unit 1 Listening, Reading and Writing
- 35% of AS, 35% of A Level
- 2 hour written examination
- 110 marks
Unit 2 Speaking Test
- 15% of A Level, 15% of A Level
- 35 minutes speaking test (including 20 minutes preparation)
- 50 marks
A2 details – students will prepare for the following papers:
Unit 3 Listening, Reading and Writing
- 35% of A2 Level
- 2 hours 30 minutes written examination
- 110 marks
Unit 4 Speaking Test
- 15% of A Level 35 minutes speaking test (including 20 minutes preparation)
- 50 marks
All British universities offer courses in French, German & Spanish, either by itself, combined with another foreign language, or as part of a composite European Studies course.
French, German & Spanish can also be studied in a variety of more broadly based combinations such as French with Business, History, Philosophy, Law, and Engineering amongst many others! Teaching, translating, and interpreting can all require specialist knowledge of French, German & Spanish.
There are many other careers, however, in which a knowledge of another language to a higher level is becoming increasingly useful and indeed, sometimes a necessary qualification: export marketing and sales, banking, insurance, chartered accountancy, law, travel, advertising, civil service, the BBC, librarianship, secretarial work, journalism and computing.
Who should apply for the course?
The AS and A2 French, German & Spanish courses are for students of a high linguist ability, who are preparing for a variety of possible futures in the spheres of Higher Education, employment and leisure.
The aims of the courses are:
• to develop in students a range of practical skills which will enable them to understand and communicate in written and spoken language for leisure purposes and in the world of work;
• to make students aware of the cultural, social, commercial, historical, geographical and political background of the countries where French, German & Spanish are spoken;
• to offer enjoyment, challenge and intellectual stimulation;
• to develop study skills which will help students in their acquisition of other foreign languages;
• to allow students to complement their other studies by pursuing selected areas of interest in greater depth;
• to encourage maximum use of the foreign language by students.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Crypt School directly.