Computer Science AS level at Carnforth High School
Advances in Computing are transforming the way we work. Computer Science AS-Level aims to teach you a wide range of computational thinking and the practical application of this theory. You will learn to program in several languages to an in depth level. The problem solving skills you will develop in Computer Science are highly desirable at higher education institutes and within employment.
1: Fundamentals of Programming
- An overview of key programming concepts.
2: Fundamentals of Data Structures
- How a range of data structures can be used in a practical setting?
3: Systematic Approach to Problem Solving
- The System Life Cycle followed to solve a problem.
4: Theory of Computation
- An overview of key computational thinking concepts.
5: Fundamentals of Data Representation
- Develop an understanding of how different data is represented by computers.
6: Fundamentals of Computer Systems
- How the multiple elements of a computer system work together?
7: Fundamentals of Computer Organisation and Architecture
- How the hardware within a computer system functions? with particular focus on the structure and role of the processor.
8: Consequences of uses of Computing
- The social, moral and legal issues and opportunities provided by computers
9: Fundamentals of Communication and Networking
- How computer communication functions across a network?
General Entry Requirement: 5 A*-Cs at GCSE including GCSE English and/or Mathematics.
In addition, a minimum B grade for the A-Level subject you are hoping to study.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carnforth High School directly.