Physical Education A Level at Collingwood College
The aims of the course are that by learning in, about and through a range of physical activities, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of physical activity;
- Demonstrate the ability to apply skills, knowledge and understanding in physical activity;
- Demonstrate the ability to analyse and evaluate critically physical activity.
What is important is that you should have a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in Sport and/or Physical Education, a willingness to explore new ideas and an ability to communicate your ideas effectively.
Main features of the course:
- An emphasis on students experiencing all roles in sport, for example the performer, official and the coach;
- Raising the awareness of contemporary issues such as ergogenic aids, technology and the increasing commercialisation of sport;
- Increasing the knowledge and understanding of psychological, physiological and historical concepts of sport.
The A level specification has 2 units:
Unit 3: Optimising performance and evaluating contemporary issues within sport.
Unit 4: Optimising practical performance in a competitive situation.
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C (or equivalent) including English, Mathematics and Science and PE if taken. Experience shows that your chances of success are higher in this subject if you have performed to a reasonable level (e.g. played for a club) in at least one of the activities you will be assessed in as your practical skills will be tested extensively. If you are a skilled coach or official then you may be assessed on that basis rather than performance.
Unit 3: Written paper - 2 hours
Weighting: 70% of total A level mark
Unit 4: Internal Assessment/External Moderation
Weighting: 30% of total A level mark
Sport Studies and Physical Education degrees. Preparation for the fitness and leisure industry. Science components of the course are a suitable foundation for the Sciences and Psychology degrees.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Collingwood College directly.