Geography AS Level at St Vincent College
The course focuses on geographical issues and their evaluation. Content includes physical geography issues such as the water and carbon cycles, natural hazards and hot desert environments. Human geography issues will cover global governance, place studies and population change. Throughout the course students will be asked to develop a range of skills including those in fieldwork, statistics, ICT and cartography. They will also have ample opportunity to discuss their own attitudes to contemporary issues of concern. Please note that AS and A-level Geography are now run as separate courses: the AS year is a standalone qualification, which will not count towards the longer A-level course.
Component1 – Physical geography and people and the environment:
- Section A: Hot desert environments and their margins
- Section B: Natural hazards
Component 2 – Human geography and geography fieldwork investigation
- Section A: Changing Places
- Section B: Fieldwork investigation and geographical skills
Five GCSEs at grade A* – C, including English Language and Maths
• Duke of Edinburgh Award (silver & gold)
• Local field trips; environmental projects
• Higher Education for degree courses in geography, related subjects, or many other courses
• Career opportunities for geographers in commerce, leisure/tourism, industry, planning, Civil Service, retailing, local government
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Vincent College directly.