Health and Social Care BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
This is a wide ranging course that will provide you with both the knowledge and skills that you will need to begin a career in this sector. This could include areas such as social work, childcare, education or counselling. Alternatively you can progress to university and study degrees in subjects such as Nursing, Teaching or Physiotherapy.Course Features
- Excellent links with sector employers within the surrounding area; many students find further employment opportunities through these links.
- Specialist placement opportunities available, such as the children’s ward at Hereford Hospital and the Health Education Department of Shrewsbury Hospital.
- This qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels and is worth up to 420 UCAS points.
This course is designed to encourage you to develop the personal skills and qualities that you need for work in the health care and social sector. It will give you the chance to explore the career opportunities in health and social care related professions.
You will also undertake relevant work placements one day a week. You will study a range of units including:
- Equality, Diversity & Rights
- Health & Safety
- Development Through the Life Stages
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Caring for Children & Young People
- Health Promotion
- Infection Control
- Complementary Therapies
- Physiological Disorders
- Working with the Elderly and Working with People with Dementia.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A - C including English and preferably Maths.
For those looking to continue their studies, there are a wide range of progression routes including Foundation Degrees, BA (Hons), BSc (Hons) or BEd Degrees in subjects such as Midwifery Nursing, Teaching, Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy or Speech Therapy.
Alternatively, you could go straight in to employment in health and social care related professions, such as childcare, social work, or health care assistants.
Please note, that each of these career options are competitive and will have specific requirements which may be additional to this qualification. For example, if you want to be a teacher you must have GCSEs at grade C in English, Maths and Science. For some universities this might be increased to a grade B.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.