Fast Track Level 2 and Level 3 Nails at West Lancashire College
This fast track course is ideal for those wishing to embark on a career in the nail industry.
Successful students must:
- be artistic and creative
- enjoy working with a variety of people
- team player
- 100% attendance and commitment
- excellent communication skills
- must be willing to complete homework
- must be highly committed due to course content and time scale
Students will study Level 2 Nail Services from September until January.
Acrylic nail systems will be included to improve and enhance the natural nails using products from NSI, the leading professionals in the nail industry. Manicure, pedicure and nail art will also be included to ensure knowledge of natural nail care is understood.
All practical techniques are assessed in salon and a range of theory work will also be an essential part of the course. Anatomy and physiology relating to the hands and feet and a range of skin and nail diseases and disorders will also be covered.
This Level 2 course provides an introduction to the Nail industry, gaining essential knowledge and expertise in a wide range of nail services. The course is ideal for learners who want a career in Nail Services. It is also suitable for adults who would like to change career direction or return to work after a break.
Students will study the following units:
- Health & Safety
- Salon reception duties
- Develop and Maintain effectiveness at work
- Promote additional services and products to customers
- Nail Art
- Acrylic Nail Application
Students will then study Level 3 Nail Services Diploma from January onwards.
This course offers progression for those learners who have successfully completed a Level 2 qualification. This course is based largely on practical skill and technique and includes sculpted extensions, 3D nail art and electric filing.
Theory will involve case studies on clients at home and in the salon. You will be required to complete further anatomy and physiology relating to hands and feet.
- Apply and maintain nail enhancements
- Airbrush designs for nails
- Working with colleagues within beauty related industries
- Enhance nails using electric files
- Promote and sell products and services to clients
- Contribute to the effective running of business
- Client care and communication in beauty-related industries
- Design and apply nail art
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
All students must purchase kit from the relevant department. Costs will be discussed at enrolment and during the college induction. Students will be required to carry out treatments on the general public who book in as clients at our reception area. On occasion you will also need to provide a paying model for your practical assessments in the college commercial salons.
All students must wear the college uniform, which is:
- Long smart trousers (Purchased from the department)
- College tunic (Purchased from the department)
- Low heeled full black smart shoes (Purchased by student)
- Students will be required to remove all visible jewellery including facial piercing (due to awarding body requirements) and have short nails with no nail polish.
- Hair must be tied back discreetly
- Day make-up must be worn
- Mobile phones must not be accessed in classrooms and salons unless permission has been sought from the course leader.
Students will be required work in the college's realistic working environments to carry out treatments on the general public who book in as clients at our reception area. On occasions you may need to provide a paying model for your practical assessments.
Learners will undertake a period of work experience appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
A minimum of 3 GCSEs at grade D or above is required.
All candidates will be interviewed to assess their suitability for the course. All applicants must have an artistic flair and a reasonable standard of English and maths.
Students must be able to work effectively with others and be willing to carry out and receive all treatments and work on male clients.
All students must display a positive attitude, be prepared to work as part of a team and have excellent attendance.
Assessment is by practical observation, oral questioning, case studies, written essential knowledge papers, end examinations set by the examination awarding body. An internal/external verifier will assess all portfolio evidence and practical skills.
On successful completion of this course and with a suitable reference from your tutor, you could progress to a NVQ Beauty Therapy course or onto one of our part-time Beauty or Holistic Therapy courses.
This course could lead to a career as a nail technician who can be found working in salons, spas, health farms and cruise liners.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.