A Level Programme at Coleg y Cymoedd
One of the most exciting developments in 2012 was the launch and welcome of over 300 learners onto the Advanced Level Programme at the Nantgarw Campus. Staff from Coleg y Cymoedd, St David’s Catholic Sixth Form College and Cardinal Newman RC Comprehensive School have joined forces to deliver the A Level programme at Nantgarw Campus.
You will be:
• able to choose from AS and A levels in 28 subjects, many of which are not traditionally offered in schools
• studying in fantastic advanced level learning facilities
• taught by experienced staff with proven AS/ A level expertise
• supported and guided through a comprehensive personal tutorial system
• accessing the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification (WBQ)
• fully prepared for university application and entry or moving onto the employment route of your choice
• offered additional support if applying to Oxbridge
• involved in the BOOST programme of activities including sport, creative, cultural and entrepreneurial activities.
As part of your application we provide advice and guidance with your subject selection, helping you with the balance of AS and then A2 subjects enabling you to progress onto an HE course or job of your dreams. If you choose to stay at your school sixth form we may be able to offer you the chance to study an additional subject – timetabling and travel permitting.
What’s on offer?
The Advanced Level Programme enables you to study two/ three or four AS levels plus the Welsh Baccalaureate (Advanced) in your AS year. Following successful AS results you then choose two/three subjects plus the WBQ for the second year. Widen your choices with a combined course. Choose 1 or 2 AS subjects with a BTEC in Applied Science, Sports Studies or Health and Social Care. Options can be discussed during your application process.
The Personal Support Package
All learners receive a complete support package coordinated by their Personal Tutor. Progress meetings to which your parents are invited take place each year.
The GCSE Journey
Employers and universities look carefully at your GCSE grades especially in English and Maths. Any learners not achieving grade C in either or both of these will need to re-sit them during their first year of study with us.
Missed the Points?
If you are considering revisiting existing A levels to improve your grades or increase your points for university please contact us to discuss the options. This course is only for learners with previous A Level experience who want to improve their AS or A Level grades.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Coleg y Cymoedd directly.