Psychology A level at Harris Academy Merton
Psychology is the study of the human mind and behaviour. The AS aims to give an overview of the main areas of the subject, while the A2 allows for some of these areas to be studied in greater depth.
There are two Units for AS Psychology:
Unit 1: Social Influence, Memory, Attachment
Unit 2: Approaches in Psychology, Biopsychology, Psychopathology (Abnormality), Research Methods
Each unit is assessed by a 1 hour 30 minute exam. Exams are a mixture of short and long answer questions.
There are three Units for A Level Psychology:
Unit 1: Social Influence, Memory, Attachment, Psychopathology (Abnormality)
Unit 2: Approaches in Psychology, Biopsychology, Research methods
Unit 3: Issues and debates in Psychology and one choice from each of option 1, 2, and 3:
- Option 1: Relationships OR Gender OR Cognition
- Option 2: Schizophrenia OR Eating behaviour OR Stress
- Option 3: Aggression OR Forensic Psychology OR Addiction
Each unit is assessed by a 2 hour exam. Exams are a mixture of short and long answer questions.
Standard Sixth Form Entry Requirements:
- To study 4 A levels: must have average GCSE points score of 52+
- To study 3 A levels: must have 7 A* - C grades in full course GCSE subjects
- To study 3 A levels/vocational combination: must have 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or Merit or above in Vocational subjects
- To study vocational level 3 subjects: 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or equivalent, with at least a merit/C/4 grade in a relevant vocational qualification or GCSE
- Extended writing A level subject students will need a combination of at least grades 4 and 5 in English Language and English Literature
Subject specific requirements:
Students require five GCSE grades at A* - C including a grade B or above in English GCSE and a grade C or above in Maths GCSE.
If students have taken Psychology GCSE they need to have achieved grade B or above.
A Level Psychology is accepted by Universities as an excellent foundation for a wide range of degree courses. It is also an asset in Health and Welfare, Law, Teaching, Marketing, Human Resources, General Management, the Police and Media.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Merton directly.