BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Information Technology at Canon Slade CofE School
Why do this qualification?
This qualification is designed for students who are interested in an introduction to the study of creating IT systems to manage and share information, alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in IT. Students will develop a common core of IT knowledge and study areas such as the relationship between hardware and software that form an IT system, managing and processing data to support business and using IT to communicate and share information.
There are 3 mandatory units, 1 internal and 2 external. Students must complete and achieve at pass grade or above for all these units.
- Information Technology Systems -You will study the role of computer systems and the implications of their use in personal and professional situations.
- Systems Creating Systems to Manage Information - You will study the design, creation, testing and evaluation of a relational database system to manage information.
- Using Social Media in Business - You will explore how businesses use social media to promote their products and services. You will also implement social media activities in a business to meet requirements.
Learners must complete 1 optional unit.
- Data Modelling -You will study how data modelling can be used to solve problems. You will design and implement a data model to meet client requirements.
- Website Development - You will investigate website development principles. You will design and develop a website using scripting languages.
Grade 5 in English and Mathematics plus 3 A*-C grades at GCSE with a points score of 5.5+ (which equals roughly 4xB/6 and 4xC/5), from the top 8 GCSEs taken in the first sitting.
You will be awarded a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Unit 1: Information Technology Systems
• Written examination set and marked by Pearson
• 90 marks
• Two hours
Unit 2: Creating Systems to Manage Information
• A task set and marked by Pearson and completed under supervised conditions.
• The supervised assessment period is ten hours arranged over a number of sessions.
• Completed using a computer and submitted electronically.
• 66 marks.
Unit 3: Using Social Media in Business
Unit 5 or 6:Additional optional unit (Unit 5 or 6)
• All internal assessments are set and marked by teachers
An assignment will be issued as an assignment brief with a defined start date, a completion date and clear requirements for the evidence that you need to provide. There may be specific observed practical components during the assignment period. Assignments can be divided into tasks and may require several forms of evidence. A valid assignment will enable a clear and formal assessment outcome based on the assessment criteria.
This qualification gives you the opportunity to progress to a degree in an information technology discipline or a degree where information technology related skills and knowledge may be advantageous. This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant courses.
The qualification supports entry to, for example:
• HND in Business
• BA (Hons) in Computer Arts
• BSc (Hons) in Fashion Buying Management
• BSc (Hons) in Software Development for Animation
• BA (Hons) in Accounting and Finance.
The qualification, when studied with other Level 3 qualifications, is aimed at progression to higher education but also enables leaners to develop knowledge and skills needed for entry-level roles related to IT, including vocational apprenticeship roles and trainee/entry-level roles such as a social media specialist, web/content developer, or business analyst.
Am I suited to the subject?
Do you like using and finding out about new and existing technologies? Do you like problem solving and applying your IT skills to real life situations? If so, then this qualification would appeal to you.
What will I need to do myself?
Just like other subjects a good attitude and positive work ethic is important. You will be expected to conform to expectations and deadlines as well as being highly motivated. Furthermore, it is important that you can work independently both in and out of lessons.
Why should I come to Canon Slade to Study BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Information Technology?
We have an experienced team of teachers who are excited about the delivery of this qualification. We recognise the importance of Information Technology in today’s world and want to be able to prepare our students with the skills needed for the changing world we live in today.
• Equivalent to one A Level
• 4 units (3 mandatory units, 2 of which are externally marked and 1 optional unit)
• This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant courses.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.