Psychology A-level at Stratford Girls' Grammar School
The course encourages you to
· develop your interest in and enthusiasm for Psychology, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
· understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
· promote an appreciation and understanding of individuals, society and cultural diversity
· develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
· develop practical, mathematical and problem solving skills
The course entry does not require for students to have studied GCSE Psychology.
Students should however have achieved grades A*-B in English, Mathematics and Science.
30% of total A-level
Component 2 Psychological themes
through core studies
35% of total A-level
35% of total A-level
Component 1: Research Methods
You are expected to carry out your own small scale practical activities using the four main techniques for collecting and analysing data. These are: self-report, experiment, observation and correlation.
Component 2: Core Studies
You are expected to understand, analyse and evaluate 20 psychological research studies which link to major themes and areas in psychology: Social, Cognitive, Developmental, Biological and Mental Disorders.
Component 3: Applied Psychology
This component consists of one compulsory section on issues in mental health. You will also choose to study two out of the following applied psychology options:
- Child Psychology – attachment, cognitive development, perceptual development
- Criminal Psychology – interviewing techniques, court proceedings, punishments
- Environmental Psychology – stress, personal space, the impact of urban environment on behaviour
Books are provided however voluntary payments are requested for visits.
With an understanding of people and how they behave, psychology students can pursue a number of careers ranging from HR, advertising, marketing, physiotherapy to careers within psychology such as Educational or Clinical Psychology.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stratford Girls' Grammar School directly.