Digital and Computing Technologies Extended Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
This course has been designed to help you to develop knowledge, understanding and skills in general Information Technology (IT). This is a broad based qualification that provides you with the opportunity to progress towards further academic study or employment.
This course consists of 12 modules studied over two years covering subjects such as:
- Communication and Employability Skills for IT
- Computer Systems
- Information Systems
- Spreadsheet Modeling
- Mathematics for IT Practitioners
- Website Production
- IT Technical Support
- Installing and Upgrading Software
- Digital Graphics
- Computer Networks
- Database Design
5 GCSEs at grade C or above or equivalent, including English Language and maths. Previous IT study and qualification is desirable. Before starting, you will take English and math's assessments as well as a further IT assessment to ensure you can meet the requirements of the course.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
Each unit is assessed by one or more pieces of work or, where appropriate, practical activities. All units are graded on a Pass, Merit, Distinction structure and the overall grade for the qualification will be determined by a combination of the individual unit grades.
Successful completion of the course will provide the opportunity for students to progress to Higher Education courses or to employment in the IT sector.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.