Geography at The Joseph Rowntree School
At AS you will study 4 units. Two will be Physical Geography and two will be Human Geography. The physical units covered are:
* Rivers, floods and management - This unit looks at the processes and features of rivers. Its then goes onto look at the risk of flooding and how this risk can be reduced.
* Cold environments - Cold environments look at how areas such as the Antarctic and Alaska are being exploited and how this can be carried out in a sustainable way.
The two human topics covered are:
* Energy Issues - This topic covers renewable and nonrenewable energy as well as the risks associated with nuclear energy.
* Population Change This topic looks at the changing population structure of the world and the impacts this will have in the future.
At A2 students study 4 topics. Only three of these topics will be assessed which allows students a choice regarding questions in the paper 3 exam.
* Development & Globalisation
* Contemporary Conflicts & Challenges
* Plate Tectonics
To be successful at A-Level, students need to achieve an average points score of 38, which is broadly equivalent to 5 GCSE grades A*-C
Grade C or above in Geography GCSE.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Joseph Rowntree School directly.