Computing A Level at SEEVIC College
A-Level Computing will see you study the technical aspects of hardware and networking, alongside concepts of programming.
This subject is not about simply learning to use tools, or training in a programming language. Instead, it is about computational thinking: a style of reasoning used by both humans and machines. There is an emphasis on problem solving, application of knowledge and skills development. You will use a combination of the following over the two years of this course:
The study of computation is about what can be computed and how to compute it. Computer Science involves questions that have the potential to change how we view the world. For example; at some stage in the future we might be computing with DNA, using computer circuits made of genes.
- Fundamental principles of Computing; focusing on programming through a problem-solving scenario
- Hardware and software; considering Computing and its social/economic consequences
- Computational thinking; considering what can be computed and how, as well as the languages of Computing
- Programming a solution; to a problem solving exercise of your choice.
General Entry Requirements
- At least five GCSEs at grade C or above which must include English Language GCSE and an average point score of 5.0 calculated from all of your GCSE subjects.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade B or above in GCSE Maths.
You will use what you learn to design solutions to real world issues. You will be assessed by examination and project work. There is an online exam, internal assessments and a large piece of coursework in Year Two which is worth 40% of the total marks. This is a challenging subject, requiring high levels of independent thinking and the ability to structure your thoughts logically and precisely.
If you want to progress to a Computer Science degree, or you just want the best possible start for your career as a Programmer, then A-Level Computing is ideal. It can also be studied alongside ICT, as each course focuses on very different aspects of the subject.
Your Tutor is a very experienced programmer with many years of international industry experience working for companies including Nokia, writing code for operating systems and apps.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact SEEVIC College directly.