Introduction to Culinary Skills Certificate at Wirral Metropolitan College
This course is designed for students who want to work as professional cooks in the hospitality and catering sector. All students on this course have the opportunity to gain work experience throughout the year.
Units studied include:
- Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Food safety certificate
- Food Allergens Awareness certificate
Three GCSEs at grades E or above to include English or other related qualifications and experience.
A positive reference from school, employer or tutor (if progressing or from another college) is essential, together with excellent attendance and punctuality records.
You will be assessed in a number of ways which may include:
- Practical assessments
After the course you may be able to progress onto:
- Level 2 Diploma in Culinary skills
- Level 2 NVQ in Professional Cookery
- Full time employment
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.