Physical Education AS and A Level at Ysgol Dyffryn Aman
The WJEC is the examination board used for the GCE AS and A level in Physical Education award. This is a brand new specification to be taught from September 2016. This Specification is divided into a total of 4 units, 2 AS units and 2 A2 units.
- Exploring physical education - Written Exam - 1.5 hrs AS: 60% weight, A Level 24% weight
- Improving personal performance in physical education - practical - AS 40% weight, A Level 16% weight
- Evaluating physical education - written exam 2 hrs – A Level 36% weight
- Refining personal performance in physical education – practical - A Level 24% weight
What do I need to study AS / A Level PE?
- Ideally you must have studied a GCSE in PE
- Gained an A*-C grade in the theory section
- Have an interest in sport & physical exercise
- Be actively involved in sport (in or outside of school)
- Have an understanding that you will be expected to study outside of the classroom
GCSE Point Scores
In advising students as to the most suitable choice of post-16 courses/programmes of study, we use a GCSE 'Point Score' as a benchmark.
The Score is made up from the best six GCSE grades achieved by the student using the following scale:-
A* - 8 points
A - 7 points
B - 6 points
C - 5 points
D - 4 points
E – 3 points
F – 2 points
G - 1 point
This process has been used successfully over a number of years and proved to be an accurate predictor of likely success through the various possible routes of study.
- To study 4 A Level subjects over 2 years – 42 points (minimum) including Maths & English (following consultation)
- To Study 3 A Level subjects over 2 years points – 30 points (minimum) including Maths & English
- To study a green route a point score of 30 points from at least 4 separate subjects
N.B. Although, as stated above, these ‘scores’ are good predictors of likely success upon entry into the Sixth Form, each student is treated as an individual and the post GCSE Interview is a very important process. Parents are welcome to be present at these interviews.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Dyffryn Aman directly.