French AS/A Level at South Dartmoor Community College
Whatever your chosen career, possession of skills in one or more Modern Languages will, without any doubt, make you a more flexible, adaptable and mobile citizen of the new open Europe. A large number of university courses can be supplemented by a Modern Language, thus opening up career opportunities extensively.
The course will convert your GCSE pass to a high level of spoken and written grammatical accuracy, personal communication and intimate knowledge of French speaking countries. At all times the culture of the relevant countries is highlighted. The components of the course are social issues and trends in France, political and artistic culture and grammar. Within the optional component are literary texts and films.
5 GCSE passes at grade C or above to include GCSE at Grade B in French.
The examination comprises three aspects. The first is a mixed skill paper which examines the candidate's proficiency in listening, reading and writing in French. The second is a writing paper which requires full answers in French in response to a set text or two shorter written responses to stimulus material. The speaking test includes discussion of one of four sub-themes from aspects of French-speaking society: current trends, aspects of French-speaking society: current issues, artistic culture in the French-speaking world or aspects of political life in the French-speaking world.
- On average, people who use languages in their jobs earn 8% more.
- 75% of the world’s population does not speak English at all.
- Why learn French? Europe is the world’s largest market; France is Europe’s second largest market.
- Employers will like you because you show you are confident & communicate well. People who speak another language get better jobs & salaries than those who only speak their own language
- You’ll be speaking an international language.
- 17% of all the business in the whole world is done in French.
- French is the second language of the Internet.
- French is an official language in the UN & the EU.
- Europe is the biggest market for consumers in the world. More than 4,000 international companies have invested in France.
So, you still think French is only any good to you if you want to be a teacher, translator or interpreter? Well, you’ll be pleased & surprised to know that 90% of jobs where languages are asked for are not those sorts of jobs!
- Regular contact with a native speaker
- Fully equipped Modern Language classrooms
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Dartmoor Community College directly.