Carpentry and Joinery Level 1 Diploma at West Lancashire College
This qualification is aimed at learners aged 16 and above who work or want to work in the construction industry and specialise in working with wood. There are four trade areas available: site carpentry, bench joinery, shop fitting joinery, and wood machining. Our qualifications are aimed at people wishing to learn some skills in carpentry and joinery, to progress on to becoming skilled in their chosen trade, or to progress through an apprenticeship and work towards becoming a master craftsman.
This course is part of the standard level 1 route to a career in construction.
Who the course is for:
This course is for school leavers and adults interested in a career in construction (Bricklaying)
Successful students tend to:
• have practical skills and good hand skills
• be able to follow technical drawings, building plans, and other instructions
• be fit and strong enough to carry tools and materials
• have good communication skills
• be able to work quickly and neatly
• enjoy working with others
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- Produce woodworking joints
Learners will undertake a period of work experience appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
From September 2015:
Theory Classes will take place at Main Skelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale, WN8 6DX
Practical Classes will take place at West Lancashire Construction Academy, Gillibrands, Skelmersdale, WN8 9JP
A recognised maths and English qualification is required. All successful candidates will be interviewed and selected for the course.
- Assessment is via an online core unit examination
- Awarding body phase test
- Portfolio of knowledge
Successful completion of the course including Functional Skills will allow you direct access into Level 2 Carpentry & Joinery.
Alternatively you may decide to change direction and transfer to another construction qualification at Level 1:
• Painting & Decorating
This course is designed to open up the world of Construction to students either as a continuing student or potentially as an employed trainee. Career progression opportunities include:-
• Bench Joinery
• Kitchen Fitting
• Carpentry & Joinery
• Site management
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.