A2 Level : Geography at English Martyrs Catholic School
At A2 level, you will continue to study human and physical topics as well as apply your knowledge and understanding of the AS course to encourage you to think synoptically - that is, to think like a geographer and prepare you for Higher Education or employment. The topics covered during the A2 course are:
Unit 3 will cover:
- plate tectonics and associated hazards
- weather and climate and associated hazards
- challenges facing ecosystems
- world cities - evoluation or revolution?
- development and globalisation
- comtemporary conflicts and challenges
Unit 4A will cover:
- investigation of a geographical argument, issue or problem.
At both AS and A2, we prefer to complete the fieldwork skills as part of a residential experience usually either in the Lake District or Barcelona, Spain.
So.... choose Geography if you enjoy:
- Getting to know the world through fieldwork
- Getting to know places and understanding other cultures
- Developing your understanding of the impact of globalisation on our lives and how we can manage this sustainably
- To develop a wide range of skills using computers and other technology; which employers and universities really value.
Minimum Grade C - Geography
GEOG 3 (Content) paper: 2hrs 30 mins (60%)
GEOG 4a (Skills) paper: 1 hr 30 mins (40%)
Exam Board: AQA
You could take this course with other advanced level courses to prepare for higher education in geography, other areas of humanities, science or more general higher education courses. With further training, you could go into a job related to geography such as a Town Planner, Environmental Officer or Weather Forecaster. The course also helps you to develop the basic skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers across lots of industries are looking for.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.