Biology A level at Central Lancaster High School
Students will be studying the new A level specification. They will need to choose whether an AS or A level is appropriate for them. For the first year of each course, the cohorts will taught the same content.
AS Level and 1st year of A Level (Year 12)
Module 1 – Development of practical skills in biology.
Module 2 – Foundations in Biology.
Module 3 – Exchange and Transport.
Module 4 – Biodiversity, evolution and disease.
2nd Year of A Level (Year 13)
Module 1 – Development of practical skills in biology (continued).
Module 5 – Communication, homeostasis and energy
Module 6 – Genetics, evolution and ecosystems
Normal entry expectation for level 3 courses is 5 GCSE A* to C grades.
All assessment will take place terminally, at the end of the course.
Breadth in biology; 1 hour 30 minutes, written paper. 50% of total A level.
Depth in biology; 1 hour 30 minutes, written paper. 50% of total A level.
Both examinations assesses content from all four year 12 modules.
1) Biological processes; 2 hour 15 minutes written paper. 37% of total A level
- content from modules 1, 2, 3 and 5.
2) Biological diversity; 2 hour 15 minutes written paper. 37% of total A level
- content from modules 1, 2, 4 and 6.
3) Unified biology; 1 hour 30 minutes written paper. 26% of total A level
- content from all modules (1 to 6).
4) Practical endorsement in biology; non-exam assessment, reported separately.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Central Lancaster High School directly.