Accessibility links

Mathematics (GCSE) at St Columba's Catholic Boys' School

Course description

GCSE Mathematics covers a wide range of basic mathematical knowledge and skills, grouped into four areas: 1) Number and algebra 2) Shape, space and measure 3) Data handling. 4) The fourth area is using and applying the mathematics contained in these areas to a range of problems. While studying mathematics you will be expected to: • Use mathematical skills and knowledge to solve problems • Use logic and reason to solve problems • Break down problems into small steps in order to solve them • Use the mathematics that you learn to solve problems that might happen in real life • Learn how to use a calculator to solve problems quickly and effectively. Why do I have to take GCSE Mathematics? GCSE Mathematics covers a lot of basic skills that you will need to use in a variety of ways all through your life and because of this it is a compulsory subject for all students in years 10 and 11. You will use a lot of what you learn in GCSE Mathematics in other GCSEs that you study. For example, in Science you may be asked to use formulae and solve equations, Geography you will need to read charts and diagrams and use statistics and in D&T you will need to use measures and make scale drawings. Most colleges and 6th form courses require GCSE Maths as an entry requirement, as do many jobs and careers. How will I be tested? ALAN: The aim of the adult numeracy standards is to specify the full range of skills required for an adult to confidently apply numeracy, efficiently and effectively. G.C.S.E Mathematics You are assessed by a MODULAR examination periodically throughout the course. The structure will be: • Unit 2 - March 2010 - 30% of the total. Stage 1 multiple choice; Stage 2 Written paper • Unit 1 - June 2010 - 20% of the total. Stage 1 multiple choice; Stage 2 Written paper • Unit 3 – June 2011 -50% of the total Paper 1 Non-calculator; Paper 2 Calculator For all papers you will be expected to bring the necessary equipment (including a protractor, compass and ruler).

Further information

To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Columba's Catholic Boys' School directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information

Venues