Maths at Bedlingtonshire Community High School
You will study four pure modules and two applied modules.
The pure content includes:
Algebra and functions and Coordinate geometry Sequences and series and Calculus
Exponentials and logarithms and Trigonometry Numerical methods and Vectors
The applied content depends on which combination of modules you choose from:
Statistics and Mechanics or Decision mathematics
You will be expected to:
- use mathematical skills and knowledge to solve problems
- understand and demonstrate what is meant by proof in mathematics
- solve real life problems using mathematical logic and argument
Mathematics is rather different from many other subjects. An essential part is the challenge of analysing and solving a problem and the satisfaction and confidence gained from achieving a ‘correct’ answer.
Entry requirements are open to negotiation with individual students once final GCSE results are known, but as a general rule:
- For students wishing to take only the Year 12 AS-level course, grade C (or better) in Higher GCSE Maths is expected
- For students intending to take the full two year A level course, a grade B (or better) is essential
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bedlingtonshire Community High School directly.