English Literature AS at Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth
Why study English Literature at A level?
- Study a range of interesting, stimulating and challenging texts
- Develop high order skills of analysis, argument and expression through class discussion and essay writing that will benefit the student in university and in the world of work
- Experience extra-curricular activities such as writing workshops, lectures and live drama
The course includes poetry, prose and drama texts ranging from Shakespeare to modern writers. Students will also be asked to write creatively and develop unseen analysis skills.
LT1: Poetry and Drama 1
- Poetry: The Whitsun Weddings by Philip Larkin (Core) and Welsh Retrospective by Dannie Abse (Partner)
- Drama: Dancing at Lughnasa, by Brian Friel
LT2: Prose Study and Creative Writing
- Prose study: The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald (core) & The Road by Cormac McCarthy (partner)
- Creative reading: (a) personal creative writing response and (b) a commentary on their creative process
- 60% of AS
- 2 hour written examination
- 40% of AS
- 1500 word essay
- 2 x 750 word coursework pieces
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth directly.