Economics A Level at Pimlico Academy
The course will enable students to:
- Appreciate the contribution of economics to the understanding of the wider economic and social environment.
- Develop an understanding of a range of concepts and an ability to use these concepts in a variety of different contexts.
- Use an enquiring, critical and thoughtful approach to the study of economics and an ability to think as an economist.
- Understand that economic behaviour can be studied from a range of perspectives.
- Develop analytical and quantitative skills, together with qualities and attitudes that will equip students for the challenges, opportunities and responsibilities of adult and working life.
The course will comprise of 4 units, assessed through examination:
- Year 12 A Level: Themes 1 & 2
- Year 13 A Level: Themes 3 & 4
Theme 1: Introduction to markets and market failure provides an introduction to the nature of economics and examines how the price mechanism allocates resources in markets. It analyses the nature of market failure, its causes and possible policy remedies.
Theme 2: The UK Economy—performance and policies introduces the key measures of economic performance and the main objectives and instruments of economic policy.
Theme 3: Business behaviour and the labour market develops the content of Unit 1 and examines how the pricing and nature of competition between firms is affected by the number and size of market participants. In particular, the market for labour is considered with an analysis of the role of the government in this domain.
Theme 4: A global perspective develops the knowledge and skills gained in Unit 2 so that they can be applied in a global context. The application, analysis and evaluation of economic models is required as well as an ability to assess policies which might be used to deal with economic problems.
Students must achieve grade B or above in Mathematics.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pimlico Academy directly.