Business AS & A Level at Farnborough College of Technology
Business is front page news. The way companies operate is under greater scrutiny than before, while TV programmes like the Apprentice and Dragons Den have raised the profile of Business to a new generation. The new specifications, starting in 2015, bring the subject up to date, enabling students to engage with, explore and understand business behavior and develop a critical understanding of what business is and does.
Business is an excellent subject to learn for those who are interested in finding out how firms operate and make profit or those who want to develop the skills needed to set up and run their own firm.
AS Subject content
- What is business?
- Managers, leaders and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
A Level Subject Content
The six topics from the AS course plus:
- Analysing firms current performance from data
- Choosing appropriate long term strategies for firms
- How to implement strategies in the short term
- How to successfully manage change in the business world
5 GCSE grade A*-C including English Language. References will be required.
It is not essential for students to have studied Business at GCSE level but some mathematical ability is needed to calculate profit, breakeven, and cash flow for example. An interest in current affairs is desirable.
- Paper 1 - Two compulsory questions, including multiple choice, short answer questions and data response questions. 1½ hours. 50% of AS.
- Paper 2 – One compulsory case study consisting of seven questions. 1½ hours. 50% of AS.
- Paper 1 - Multiple choice questions, short answer and two essays. 2 hours. 1/3rd of A Level
- Paper 2 - Three compulsory data response questions. 2 hours. 1/3rd of A Level
- Paper 3 - One compulsory case study consisting of six questions. 2 hours. 1/3rd of A Level
AQA A Level Business Year 1/Third Edition - John Wolinski and Gwen Coates ISBN: 978-1-4718 -3609-1
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Farnborough College of Technology directly.