Physics AS level at Nottingham Girl's Academy
For students who like to solve problems and answer challenging questions about the physical world around them.
This is an essential course for anyone who is interested in finding out about the world around them from the smallest particle to the entire universe.
The course looks at and connects the following topics: Newtonian mechanics, energy, electricity, magnetism, photons, quantum universe, cosmology, nuclear, medical, thermal and particle physics.
Units covered at AS
- Forces and motion.
- Foundation in Physics.
- Electrons, photons and quantum mechanics.
- Practical skills in Physics.
5+ A*-C grades at GCSE including B grade or above in English, mathematics, B in Double Award science.
- Weekly homework activities to extend and apply knowledge gained in lessons.
- End-of-chapter and unit exanimations to build examination technique.
- AS Physics (year 1) will be assessed through two examinations: Modelling (50%) and Exploring (50%). Both exams cover the foundations of physics, forces and motion, electrons, waves and photons combined with practical skill questions.
Physics gives you the skills to solve problem, so after the successful completion of a physics course you will be welcomed on to any university course or training programme. Careers include engineering, finance, computer science, sport science, research scientist, medicine and astronaut.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nottingham Girl's Academy directly.