Dance A Level at St Vincent College
If you enjoy choreography, are keen to develop your personal performance skills, like working with others, this is the course for you! You will learn about choreographers and their works, develop your knowledge and understanding of the dancer in action, improve your skills used in performance and study the history of dance. In addition you will have the opportunity to take part in dance performances, workshops and theatre trips.
Unit 1 – Understanding Dance will cover:
• The dancer as performer
• The process and craft of choreography
• The significance of dances
• It will culminate in an hour and a half written paper which is externally marked
Unit 2 – Choreography and Performance – this is practical coursework and will cover:
• The process of solo choreography from investigation and research of ideas to the final performance
• Physical and interpretative skills in relation to performance of the solo choreography
• The development of performance skills within a duo/trio
• Both the solo and duo/trio will be internally examined and externally moderated
Unit 3 – Dance Appreciation: Content and Context involves:
• The critical analysis and appreciation of one set work
• The investigation of a specific area of study.
• Your knowledge and understanding of these will be assessed by an hour and a half written examination paper
Unit 4 – Group Choreography and Solo Performance will cover:
• Solo performance skills in relation to a specific practitioner within the area of study for Unit 3
• Group choreography from investigation and research of ideas through to the final examination performance
• This unit will culminate in the final externally examined practical exam
Five GCSEs at grade A*– C including English Language. You will also participate in an audition process.
Written and Practical
You will have the opportunity to:
• Take part in performances in both St Vincent Studio Theatre and other professional venues
• Participate in workshops led by leading dance artists in the area
• Attend trips to see professional performances to inspire and enhance your work
• Attend short courses in Contemporary Dance Technique, Ballet, Street, Jazz, Approaches to Choreography, and many more!
• You will also have the opportunity to audition for St Vincent’s very own Contemporary Dance Company
• Higher Education courses at degree level in Dance or Performing Arts dance schools/colleges
• Higher Education courses requiring good communication and group work skills
• Careers in performing, teaching, arts-administration, dance animateur work, dance therapy, journalism and events management
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Vincent College directly.