Physics A level at Havering Sixth Form College
You will develop awareness of how Physics can improve people’s lives; how Physics is used in engineering, technology and medicine and how Physics research develops our understanding of the physical world.
It is strongly recommended that Physics is taken with A level Maths. If this is not possible then Core Maths needs to be taken.
You can expect to:
- Develop an understanding of the physical laws that govern our universe
- Plan and carry out practical investigations
- Analyse and interpret data in many forms and produce written reports.
- Discover how our ideas of motion, forces and energy are applied through examples in areas such as sport, designing safer vehicles or choosing the best materials for structures.
- Study how our knowledge of sound waves and the phenomenon of standing waves is used in musical instruments
- Study the use of X-rays, CAT scans, MRI and ultrasound in medicine
- Look at the latest ideas about the origins of stars and of the universe
One grade B and four grade Cs at GCSE, C Grade English GCSE, A Grade Maths GCSE, BB Grade Science GCSE, and successful science diagnostic test result. Students with a B grade in GCSE Maths (achieved from the higher tier paper) will only be considered if they achieve a high mark in the maths diagnostic test.
Exam Board – OCR
£40 - As part of the first year course, students undertake an industrial/physics related visit, costing approx. £20. Also students are expected to attend a revision conference costing £20.
Physics students have gone on to a wide variety of degree courses and pursued careers in medicine, engineering, computing, business and accounting.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Havering Sixth Form College directly.