Public Services Level 3 Extended Diploma at South Essex College
This is a full time, Advanced Level 3 BTEC qualification in which you study a whole range of subjects that give you an excellent understanding of the Public Services. The Course is designed to give you a good underpinning knowledge of the public services and develop some essential skills that you will need in the future. At the end of your course you will have an excellent CV that will include both the Academic qualifications you need, plus a series of career enhancing skills, such as teamwork, communication and problem solving.
In addition to the main qualification you will study functional skills.
You will learn in a variety of ways, from traditional class activities and lessons to practical activities such as working in teams.
System ref: #3957
- government, policies and the public services
- leadership and teamwork in the public services
- citizenship, diversity and the public services
- understanding discipline in the uniformed public services
- exercise, health and lifestyle
- skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- crime and its effect on society
- land navigation by map and compass
- maths and English
- fitness testing and training
- outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- command and control in the uniformed public services
- responding to emergency service incidents
- planning and management of major incidents
- practical team sports
- security procedures in the public services
- instructing physical activity and exercise
- forensic evidence collection and analysis
We expect all our public services students to wear a uniform when they attend College. The uniform consists of black trousers/skirt (not jeans) with black shoes and a golf shirt and/or fleece with a South Essex College logo. The golf shirt/fleece will be purchased via the College. As an alternative to the black trousers / skirt and black shoes you may choose to opt for smart black combat trousers and plain black trainers. Apart from pen and paper, you also will need clothing suitable for the fitness and sports units. Most students will experience a residential visit, so a sleeping bag, suitable walking and bad weather clothing will be expected.
- two GCSEs at grade C or above, in addition to maths at grade four or above and English at grade four or above, or
- four GCSEs at grade C or above, including maths and English, or
- Public Services Level 2 Diploma, maths at grade four or above and English at grade four or above, or equivalent
- successful interview and satisfactory references
- presentations, reports, essays, exhibitions and discussions
FREE to UK/EU under 19s not in employment
- higher education at university or college to study subjects such as criminology or sociology
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Essex College directly.