Horticulture Level 3 at Wiltshire College
- Undertake an Investigative Project in the Land-based Sector
- Business Management in the Land based Sector
- Understand the Principles of Plant Science
- Understand the Principles of Soil Science
- Undertake and Review Work Related Experience in the Land-based Industries
- Understand the Principles and Practices of Landscape and Garden Design
- Undertaking Land-based Machinery Operations
- Undertake Identification, Selection and Use of Ornamental Plants
- Establish and Manage Exterior Plant Displays
- Establish and Manage Interior Plant Displays
- Understand Historical Influences on the Development of Gardens
- Manage Turf in Parks and Gardens
- Understand and Carry out Identification, Planting and Care of Trees
- Construct and Restore Walls
- Undertake Retail Merchandising for the Land-based Sector
- Undertake Estate Skills
- Construct and Maintain Decorative Landscape Features
- Understand the Principles and Identify the Signs of Pets, Diseases and Disorders
Assessment is through written and practically based assignments together with many and varied practical skills assessments. It should be noted that written assignments are mainly research based and are academic in nature. These are generally in-depth pieces of work and form the main method of the awarding body written assessment requirements. Some of the input time required to accomplish the written assignments is undertaken outside the college day which means the student is also expected to work at home, although some time will be devoted to these pieces of work in class and practical session time.
In addition to the time spent in class, it is recommended students spend 3-4 hours per week in private study in assignment/test preparation. The time requirement is very much dependant on the individual and their experience of researching and writing assignments.
Students at this level are expected to take full responsibility for their own learning and development, this level 3 qualification equates to 3 A levels.
The final qualification will be a The final qualification upon successful completion will be BTEC Level 3 90 Credit/Extended Diploma in Horticulture.
- Skilled gardener employed by, for example, the National Trust, local authority, private company or estate
- Horticultural technician
- Self-employed gardener
- Senior craftsperson/manager
- Garden centre/retail employment
- Plant production nursery
- Head Gardener
- Assistant Head Gardener
- Enterprise manager
- Instructor/demonstrator/trainer assessor
- Garden and landscape designer
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wiltshire College directly.