Culinary Skills Level 2 Diploma at Carshalton College
This course will give you an excellent understanding of the Hospitality Industry and provide you with the skills employers are looking for.
An ideal course for students who have achieved a Pass at a Level 1 Catering qualification and are looking for next step into the Hospitality & Catering Industry.
You will be studying a range of units, some of these will include:
- Practical assessments, kitchen and restaurant
- A range of advanced cooking methods
- Practical skills for restaurant and bar work
- Menu design and costings
- Work experience
- Functional Skills
- Health and safety in catering and hospitality
- Healthier food and special diets
- Catering operations, costs and menu planning
- Prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces
- Prepare and cook fruit and vegetables
- Prepare and cook meat and offal
- Prepare and cook poultry
- Prepare and cook fish and shellfish
- Prepare and cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
- Produce hot and cold desserts and puddings
- Produce paste products
- Produce biscuit, cake and sponge products
- Produce fermented dough products
- Interview and initial assessment
- Satisfactory reference
- A predicted minimum of three GCSEs at grade D or above, or equivalent, to include English
- Successful completion of a level 1 vocational programme.
We also require a positive reference from school, employer or tutor (if progressing or from another college) is essential, together with excellent attendance and punctuality records.
You will be assessed in a number of ways, these will include:
- Timed practical tests
- Portfolio building
Uniform and knife kit will be required - cost £190.
Please contact the College Information and Guidance Centre on 020 8544 4444 for more details.
Progression onto a range of different level 3 qualifications including Level 3 VRQ Advanced Patisserie. Alternatively, students may want to focus on a specific area such as NVQ Hospitality Supervision.
An opportunity for a varied career in the Hospitality & Catering Industry. Types of jobs include Chef, Waiter, Waitress, Receptionist, Customer Service/Events Assistant.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carshalton College directly.